Forms of hosting solutions
A hosting solution refers to stashing and/or sharing given content on a server hosted by a hosting distributor. There are different groups of hosting services used for different aims, so let's have a glance at these. In that way, you can elect what you need, depending on whether you desire to have a web portal, email addresses, or to share files with buddies and colleagues.
- File hosting: a service delivered by particular hosts, which enables you to share large files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived files, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole purpose is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a table of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php web files in your browser. Free file hosting packages are frequently supported by showing ads next to the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a specific amount of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you buy a paid file hosting plan, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no limit as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
These days, with the help of the cPanel hosting firms, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modern "cloud hosting". This is a totally wrong explanation of the actual meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would divide the workload between independent bunches of servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving various web space hosting services (email, disk storage, stats, DNS, databases, site hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting service is simply a brand of a disk space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; certain suppliers provide a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting type is good if you want to share a vast amount of images with mates or partners since the service is commonly free. You will receive a randomly generated link for each and every image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for sites.
- Email hosting: a solution devoted to handling your email accounts. Some providers offer web page hosting services for sites, but do not supply an email service. If you want to get a mail address with your domain name but do not desire to possess a website, then the e-mail hosting service is what you require. You can create e-mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a specific video file, or you can embed the video in your web page that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of availing of this approach in lieu of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video produces a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with a handful of video files and several hundred website viewers, you may have a hard time with your site hosting supplies. Embedding the video file will permit you to manage as many video clips as you want to without worrying about system resources.
- Web page hosting: this is the service that you require if you would like to run a site. To a certain degree, it comprises all of the aforementioned hosting forms since, along with your websites, you can also host pictures and files, you can run databases and email aliases, upload videos, etc. At Free Hostia, for example, you can examine web hosting and dedicated web hosting packages that allow you to get all of the aforesaid solutions in a single place. There may be limitations depending on the sort of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your website hosting account may be better or worse compared with the ordinary e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are purposed for specific web content exclusively.